Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sunday Sketches AND Sketchbook Challenge

Okay - two Sundays ago, for Sunday Sketches, I shared a journal page painting I had done of my granddaughter when she was about 18 mths. as a butterfly on Halloween.  I had decided to redo the painting on a larger scale and drew up a grid to accomplish that.  I have not done this before so am pretty proud of myself for trying something with a plan... instead of my normal dive in and go to fast.  Anyways, I haven't gotten very far - it's been a busy start to the new year BUT I am committed to progress with my pursuit of improving!!!  I am sharing what I have done this week and hope to complete the painting before next Sunday!!!  Thanks to Sophia for hosting such a great venue!!! Please visit and see the excellent work!

still working on the face - obviously
Then, two weeks ago, I also decided to participate in the Sketchbook Challenge.  It just felt like it was the right combination for me along with Sunday Sketches.  The theme for January is "Highly Prized".  So, my granddaughter is definitely going to show up finished for that but I have simple things in life that I consider, Highly Prized!!!  My morning solitude time.  I get up, get my coffee and snuggle under my blanket in a cozy chair by the window into our yard.  I sit and watch the birds, rabbits and squirrels scurry around the yard and feeders.  It gives me time to clear my head and plan for the day.  So, here is my journal entry for the sketchbook challenge - more to come for the monthly theme.  Check the challenge out for yourself!!!





HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEK...make art, make friends - send art, share souls!!!
cheers, dana

20 comments:

Marlene said...

Your sketch of your granddaughter is progressing nicely, it will be great to see it finished. Love the coffee cup, nice lights and darks.

Heather said...

Oh I love your coffee cup sketch. That's my favorite time of day too....Coffee in the a.m. xxoo
i like your determination to get the other sketch completed! enjoy your Sunday - xxoo

Christine said...

love your sketchbook challenge. The first one is a work in progress, isn't it? It's taking shape.

Alexandra MacVean said...

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished sketch of your granddaughter. I dont draw real life people very well, but I like trying from time to time...like today. :)

Good luck withe the sketchbook challange!

Happy SS!

Reflections said...

Both are lovely... progressing well I'd say... oh, that cup of coffee sounds wonderful right now.!

WrightStuff said...

Time - yes, that is definitely highly prized. Hardly ever just get to sit and enjoy a cup of coffee - always doing something else at the same time... mind you quite often that is visiting lovely blogs like yours, so that's OK!

Kristin Dudish said...

Such great sketches... I can't wait to see your finished painting!

It sounds like such a wonderful way to start your morning :)

xo
Kristin

Pellie / Penny said...

Good afternnon Dana,

Your sketches are wonderful.

Morning coffee time is an important time for me as well.

Can not wait to see the finished drawing of your granddaughter.

Hugs,
Penny

Julia Christie said...

Love the coffee sketch and it will be fun to see how your sketch of your grandaughter progresses.

Great job!

Smiles

Tammie Lee said...

fun to hear about your project of transferring your sketch through a grid technique.
Morning is a wonderful time to enjoy the peace and beauty of a day beginning. Loved seeing your sketches.

Unknown said...

Hi Dana!!! great to meet you!!! love these sketches!!!! what fun....

Have a wonderful Sunday!!!

Shayla said...

Omg I am glad someone else actually uses the grid technique in their artwork. I usually do that when I am drawing from a smaller photo than my paper size...it really helps and yours is looking great.

Heather Foust said...

Good job. I love the sketch of your granddaughter and the coffee cup I will have to check out Sunday Challenge. Have a great week!

EVA said...

Lovely progress Dana!! Great coffee cup too! How relaxing and to be highly prized your mornings sound!!

Jenny said...

Love your swirly ends on the coffee cup handle! great sketches! :)

Helen said...

Look forward to seeing it finished. And a great coffee cup too (and a great way to start the day!)

Lenora said...

Like the shading and your determination. Keep at it - know how that is!

Sinderella's Studio said...

Thanks everyone!!!! I seriously appreciate your kind comments and encouragement!
cheers, dana

Nicola said...

Ohhh I look forward to seeing where this painting takes you how exciting!:0) Also love your sketch of your mug!! Great shading!

Thank you so much for your kind comments on my blog :o)

Karena said...

Lovely site so happy to have found you through Fifi!

Be sure to come and enter my Giveaway from Blydesign......

Xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena