Thursday, February 10, 2011

Being true to my 2011 commitment... the me I want to be...

If you read my post on January 2nd - you saw that I started a journal for 2011.  My theme: the me I want to be in 2011 - the me I AM only better... so how is it going???  An update:
For me, queen of procrastination, I think I am moving in a good direction!!!  Wow, am I really complimenting myself - why yes I am!!!  Oh yes, and as I said last week I am calling myself an artist.  A bold statement but I have to start somewhere.  When I was in Key West with Sanford Birdsey - she told me that I must first respect myself then respect my art - regardless of what level I thought I was at or type of art - I had to first respect myself.  This made me think of the year 2000 when I was training for my first (and only full) marathon.  I had finally gotten up to a 10 mile run - man if I can do this I can do anything!!!  Yep, a week later my youngest son and I were in a pretty bad car accident.  My knees were bashed into the steering column - swollen - black and blue - painful for weeks - I also fractured my shoulder.  After a week of boo-hoo I wrapped my knees - put my sling on - wrapped it tight to my torso - and went down to the middle schools track!  I walked - lap after limping lap.  A couple weeks went by and I slowly trotted lap after lap.  I was there one day and a "real" runner was doing speedy lap after speedy lap.  I was on the inside lane so when I would hear him coming I would move to the outside so that he could maintain his pace.  When he finished he ran up to me and thanked me for moving over.  I replied, well YOU are a REAL runner so the lane should be yours.  His reply to me, "how many people do you see out here, me and YOU, YOU are a REAL RUNNER.  It is not how fast you go, it is that you are out here!  Keep going you have a steady stride!"  And he ran off into the sunset as they say.  What  a liberating moment!
How does this relate to my art???  Check out Kelly Rae Roberts e-course and you will see that she is extending the same motivation and inspiration to call me out as an artist - how many people are putting brush to paper???  Yes, I am an artist and proud of my progress into 2011

cheers, dana
and by the way... I did complete the 26.2 mile run in Tampa, FL December 2000 - no I haven't done a full marathon since but several 1/2 marathons - currently the damage from that accident has my knees not liking to trot so we are walking and biking - still trying to get back into the run!

7 comments:

Marlene said...

Very motivating post. I know a bit about calling yourself an artist. I had a problem with that for many years, actually it wasn't until my first sale that I was able to give myself credit and say Yes, you are an artist. I know now that I was long before that sale.
Keep up the walking and the running will follow.

Sinderella's Studio said...

thanks for sharing! and encouraging!
dana

Marfi-topia said...

Dana you are aweswome!
such an inspiring post, thank you so much for this.

Sandi McLean said...

Thoughtful words and inspiration for all of us. Congratulations on moving into February with your goals intact...

Pellie / Penny said...

Such wonderful inspiring word of wisdom - not just for yourself - but for all of us as well.

Hugs,
Penny

AlphaBetsy said...

Thank you for a truly inspiring post. It has taken me a long time to call myself an artist and still my tendency is to say I am arty or a crafter. Sounds like I need to work on things as well. Thanks you for the motivation.

m7 said...

the sketches are lovely, and so was ur article..
belated Happy Birthday!! :)

Blog Archive