Sunday, April 24, 2011

I am really still here...hello Sunday Sketches...

It seems that each day that I am not working is filled - end to end.  Busy getting ready for my youngest son's wedding in just 3 weeks - need to try the dress on that I bought several pounds ago...and I don't mean pounds down.  Bridal shower, babysitting grandkids so adults could go to the parties for bride and groom...buying a new bike for this season... Harley Sportster (picking her up today) ...getting my current bike on line for sale (86 Honda 450 Rebel super great first bike) and, oh yes, going to WORK everyday!!!
I have also been working on a special project that I can't share at this time but will in a few weeks...
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... today, I thought I better post before you all think I went off into la-la land.  I have an artist friend taking a class and she was telling me that her assignment was to do an abstract... YIKES was my thought.  After so many things going on and no time to paint, I thought, why not try an abstract journal page???  Seriously, why not??? So, for Sunday Sketches I will share my page!!!  Thanks to Sophia for hosting... I have learned so much from all the artists' that share their work on her site!!!

Wikipedia says this about abstract art : Abstract art uses a visual language of form, color and line to create a composition which may exist with a degree of independence from visual references in the world.[1] Western art had been, from the Renaissance up to the middle of the 19th century, underpinned by the logic of perspective and an attempt to reproduce an illusion of visible reality.

With this in mind, and that I have been doing exercises from some of my art books trying to understand techniques with layering better... I decided to combine some of my practice to this page.  So, I have been putting paint to paper for the last few weeks... just doing random exercises from books... I want to get better but don't have a schedule that allows me to take a formal class as I would like.  You do what you can and keep moving forward!  Not exactly what I invisioned but at least I tried it!

rain on my window
Rain on my window... it has been raining and raining and oh yes, did I mention raining... here in Michigan.  I love sitting in one of my chairs by a window that looks out into our side yard every morning sipping my coffee in complete silence and darkness... it was raining the other (most) morning and was really quite pleasant just listening to the taps on the window and watching all the drops turn into drips.  So, not sure if this qualifies as a true abstract but it is for me!!!  I will post it in the sketchbook challenge for April, theme is branching out, and this was definitely me branching out into an unknown direction.


Just for fun, another look, thanks to Kristin Dudish for sharing dumpr.net









A sneak peek at the paper I am currently working on... I love it!!!

please click to enlarge...it is wonderful to look at and run your hands across its surface!


Happy Easter to everyone - don't eat too many jelly beans!!!
cheers, dana

all work on this site copyrighted dana strickland, sinderella studio designs 2011

18 comments:

Joni Nickrent said...

Beautiful and captures the rain magically! Also, love the gallery look...very fun! Oh, and the paper too...yummy!

Fallingladies said...

lovely, and yes, I'm eatting jellybeans as I check out sunday sketches!

The Artful Diva said...

Your handmade paper is so beautiful. It would make a great background in Photoshop too!

Happy PS

Pellie / Penny said...

Your sketch is great - I'm especially impressed it made it into a gallery so fast. LOL
Happy Easter to you and your Family

Hugs,
Penny & Sir Knight

Purrs,
Genghis

Morph Waffle said...

Perfect painting for all this rain! I hope your son has a wonderful weeding, those 3 weeks will go by quick. Hopefully it'll stop raining soon so you can enjoy your new Harley.

Tammie Lee said...

wonderful abstract and cool to hear that you are working on layers and learning. Love your paper too.

Marlene said...

Very cool Abstract!

Sinderella's Studio said...

thanks ladies... yes the rain must stop - my son's wedding is outdoors!

gatheringwonder said...

wonderful post with incredible art!

Alexandra MacVean said...

I like it and feel it captures the rain in the most incredible way and often what others miss when they don't stop to enjoy a rainy day. Nice job! :)

Happy Easter!

Christine said...

I love your abstract and found this post very interesting. Thanks for that definition. Kristin has the best ideas too.

Teri said...

You are one busy lady! Abstracts can be so fun and its nice to see you start.

LOVE that paper!!

Unknown said...

oh what a great piece ...and that paper...wow!!! what texture!!!!

Debbie said...

Great abstract! Happy Easter

Kristin Dudish said...

That paper is so unbelievably cool (I would love to run my hand across it)! I really like the pop of red in your abstract (and it looks great in the gallery! hee hee).

Good luck preparing for your son's wedding!

xo
Kristin

p.s. I can't wait to hear more about your Harley :)

Jehanne's doodles said...

What an abstract- real nice!! It looks fabulous enlarge - so.... :D

Really interesting paper. Is that hair in it? I am wondering what you will be doing with it. Looking forward to seeing the end piece :)

Heather said...

very cool! I like it. Also, love how it looks like you have it hanging in a museum. I have seen kristin do that! so cool. i will have to check it out! xo

lissa said...

yes, I can imagine it art piece in a museum. I like the idea of rain drops falling into raindrops, it's like an endless looping.

have a sweet day.

Blog Archive